The Husbands of River Song preview

Welcome along to the 20th day of this Blogmas month! Christmas Day is now only FIVE days away, which means presents, turkey and, of course, the annual treat that is the Doctor Who Christmas special. Today I will talk about my expectations and thoughts on the episode BEFORE it airs.

The various trailers and synopses for the episode have got me really excited, and I want to talk through some of the things I’m expecting in the run-up to Friday.

RIVER RETURNS

The first piece of information revealed about this year’s Christmas special was the surprising news that River Song would be returning. Having not seen her since The Name of The Doctor at the end of series 7, I think it was assumed that she had gone to the library and had died. This meant that this was probably the end of her timeline in Doctor Who, and combined with the end of Matt Smith’s time in the TARDIS, it all seemed to indicate that she was gone for good and her story was over. Now, for some reason, it turns out she is coming back and will now encounter the 12th Doctor for the first time.

THE DOCTOR AND RIVER

I absolutely love the character of River and it will be interesting to see how the flirty, husband and wife dynamic shifts now that the Doctor is more hard-faced and less of an emotional character than before. We have already witnessed how different the Doctor was with Clara after his regeneration, and I want to see if his relationship with River which was so close and loving during his previous incarnation has changed at all. I have two big questions about their relationship.

Will River recognise the Doctor initially?

How will she react to his new face and more stern personality when she eventually does realise who he is?

GREG DAVIES AND MATT LUCAS

It has also been announced that two brilliant British comedians will be starring in this year’s Christmas special.

Greg Davies, who is well known for having been in The Inbetweeners, is playing a large robotic creature, who I believe is one of River’s other husbands. I am reliably informed that he will be the so-called villain of this year’s festive episode, and the trailers show his head in a disembodied state, so this makes me expect a level of hilarity somewhere.

Matt Lucas, who gave us Little Britain and Come Fly With Me, is also set to star in the episode, following in the footsteps of his comedy partner David Walliams, who featured in 2011’s The God Complex. I am not sure of the exact details of his character but I’m sure he will deliver a hilarious performance no matter what he does. Is he perhaps going to be a nice, innocent, possibly childlike character? I guess we’ll have to wait until Friday to find out.


All in all, I hope it lives up to the hype it’s been given, and that I won’t end up feeling disappointed by the time it’s finished. Make sure you’re all tuning in on Christmas Day at 5:15pm UK time for the episode and look out for my review which will be up next Sunday, December 27th.


BLOGMAS MUSIC CHART

Just three more songs remain on this chart! It has gone so quickly. Today we return to the mid-1980s and a song which has forever made Wham! a household name. As soon as this song starts, I can guarantee you that EVERYONE will know instantly what it is and will end up singing along. Featuring a very wintry mountain resort, snowball fights and enough hairspray to be a fire hazard, here is the ultimate song about a Christmas break-up. From 1984, here is Last Christmas from Wham! which ends up at number 3 on my chart. Enjoy!



3
Wham!

Last Christmas




We’re getting closer and closer to Christmas d I’m getting more and more excited about it! You can get in touch with me via the comments or my social media links if you have any thoughts or photos you want to share with me. My next Blogmas post is on the way soon, so stay tuned for news of when that will be released. Until then, keep festive, keep smiling and above all, keep believing!

TRENT

TWITTER
FACEBOOK
INSTAGRAM
YOUNOW
YOUTUBE
TUMBLR
WATTPAD
SPOTIFY
trentblogs


Comments