Christmas Colours

You may remember that earlier in the year, I did a series of posts about colour. Well, it is back for a one-off Christmas edition as part of Blogmas. Hope you enjoy!

RED

Red has quite a few associations with Christmas. Obviously it is generally accepted as the majority colour of Santa Claus’ outfit. In addition, it is key in the famous tale of Rudolph, the reindeer whose nose lit the way for the sleigh one Christmas. These meanings are something that I remember from my childhood, being so excited at the possibility of catching a glimpse of the man himself or the reindeer on Christmas Eve, or seeing a flash of red in the sky. I think it is for these reasons that so many things are red at this time of year, including food packages and decorations.

GREEN

With green, there is one very obvious connection to Christmas I am sure we are all aware of. I always associate it with the putting up of the tree every year. In an earlier post this month, I spoke about the Christmas tree and what it means for me so go check that out to learn more.

Other than that, I guess you could connect it to two other plants found at this time of year. The first one is holly, which I think is why red and green are linked to Christmas so much but I could be wrong. And the other one is mistletoe, under which people traditionally kiss at Christmas. I have never been lucky enough to get a mistletoe kiss but you never know what might happen this year.

WHITE

When you think of Christmas and the colour white, the immediate thing that comes to mind is snow. In the UK, Christmas takes place in the middle of winter, so it is always freezing cold. Every so often, it will snow at Christmas time but very rarely in this country does it actually happen! Nevertheless, we still associate cold weather and snow with the festive season and so we continue to link white, a cold colour, with this time of year as well.

If you are religious, it also has connotations of the angel Gabriel, who came to deliver the message of impending childbirth to Mary. Another possible link between white at Christmas and religion is the bright light of the guiding star which led the three wise men to the stable where Christ was born.

SILVER AND GOLD

Silver and gold represent all of the magic and sparkle in the air around this time of year. This is probably down to the amount of Christmas lights put up to brighten up the long dark nights of the wintertime. This means it could also be because of the long nights and the stars which litter the night sky that we link these sparkly, shiny colours with the festive season.

For me, I love having gold and silver decorations like tinsel and baubles because they add to the shine and atmosphere that I enjoy every Christmas. Also, it is nearly impossible to have Christmas without a bit of sparkle!

Now, for the next instalment of my Christmas chart.



Today’s song is one which is very much about the family aspect of Christmas, something which strongly relates to me. It epitomises the feeling of getting to see family and spend Christmas together and I think this is why I really love it. Here is Chris Rea with Driving Home for Christmas. Enjoy! 



19
Chris Rea

Driving Home For Christmas


So, that’s what I think about Christmas colours. As always, you can follow me on all of my social media links below to let me know your thoughts or send me Christmassy pictures. You can also leave a comment on this post if you want to say something. Come back tomorrow for your next dose of Blogmas magic. Until then, keep festive, keep smiling and above all, keep believing!

TRENT

Social Media links

Spotify: Search for “trentblogs” 


Comments