Hot Drinks

Welcome back to Blogmas 2015. This is the first of a number of food and drink posts I am putting up over the next few weeks, all of which will naturally be related to Christmas and winter. Today’s topic will be hot drinks.  I hope you enjoy!

At this time of year, there is something so comfortable about getting in from the cold and settling down to any one of a number of hot beverages to warm yourself up. They evoke memories of coming home from school and getting myself cosy, feeling safe and warm. I have picked out just a few of my old favourites below to talk about.

TEA

As a Brit, this was inevitably going to appear on this list. I absolutely love tea, especially really sweet and really milky. This is the only way to have it, and there is only ONE correct order in which to make it, something which is disputed by so many people up and down this country. I repeat, though, that this is (in my opinion anyway) the ONLY way in which tea should be made.

Teabag, water, remove teabag, milk, sugar.

I would of course love to know if you think it should be made any other way in the comments.
Of course, there are so many wonderful flavours of instant tea out there as well. I highly recommend apple, peach and lemon, but there are a wide variety out there, so try as many as you can.

COFFEE

I have never been a huge coffee drinker, but a few years back, I went through a phase where I really loved it, and drank it quite a lot. Again, as with tea, milky and sweet is the only way to go. It is a bit stronger than tea, so is for people who have stronger tastes really. Nevertheless, it is becoming a more popular thing in the UK to drink coffee rather than tea, and is still a comforting winter warmer for a lot of people.

MULLED WINE

It doesn’t get much more festive than mulled wine. I have never had it myself, but I hear so many good things about it. In the past, I have drunk wine, but have never tried it hot. Naturally, I have to recommend responsible drinking to everyone, no matter your age, but do give it a try if you can.


As I said in a previous post some time ago, I no longer take caffeine which rules out the first two, unless I opt for decaf. More recently, I have had to stop drinking alcohol for medical reasons, which rules out the possibility of drinking mulled wine. Therefore, I have to find alternatives which contain NEITHER of these things. Below are the two I have found.

HOT BLACKCURRANT SQUASH

This is an absolute favourite of mine, and takes me back to being a child. As a child, I used to drink a lot of squash, and adding hot water rather than cold makes it so much nicer, as well as providing a perfect winter warmer. Although it resembles a medicinal cough remedy in terms of smell and slightly in taste, it is fantastic and I love it. And let’s not forget – it’s free of both alcohol and caffeine.

HOT CHOCOLATE

Without a doubt, the best hot drink, and the most perfect winter warmer is hot chocolate. The best way to make it is with milk (NEVER WITH WATER), topped with a tower of whipped cream and a lot of marshmallows. As a child, long before I had really discovered tea or coffee, I used to drink hot chocolate on cold winter nights before going to bed. In my view, there are no hot drinks which beat a good cup of hot chocolate. I have tried many amazing brands over the years such as Horlicks and Ovaltine, but the brand which tops them all, and has given us the greatest chocolate products in the world, is Cadbury’s. Ooh, I really want a cup of hot chocolate now!

BLOGMAS MUSIC CHART

This is an incredibly catchy song, and I just had to include it on my list somewhere. I love this song, and although it isn’t very well known, it is amazing and I hope you like it. Here it is, at number 14, Darlene Love with All Alone On Christmas.

14
Darlene Love

All Alone on Christmas


Thank you for reading. As always, follow me on social media or comment to let me know your thoughts on anything I’ve posted about or send me Christmassy pictures. Come back tomorrow for the next instalment of this exciting Blogmas month. Until then, keep festive, keep smiling, and above all keep believing.

TRENT

Social Media links

Spotify: Search for “trentblogs” 


Comments