Sleep



Hello again to everyone!

Today I’m going to continue my exams advice series by talking about sleep.

As I said yesterday about eating, it can be difficult to maintain a healthy routine anyway, let alone when you have the shadow of exam pressure looming over you. At this time, it can be difficult to remember that sleep is just as important to you and to your health as succeeding in your exams. Whilst I don’t want to downplay the importance of getting the results you want, you and your personal health should be taken care of as well, and sleep is another key element to this.

Below, I have given you my top tips for having a healthy sleeping pattern during this exam period

·         As tempting as it may be, DO NOT pull all-nighters, especially the night before an exam. The fatigue will send your brain into shutdown so you won’t pick up anything new, and if you haven’t had enough sleep, you can’t think properly during the actual exam itself.

·         DO NOT replace sleep with caffeine, particularly energy drinks. Speaking from personal experience, caffeinated drinks can send you into a dangerous cycle of not being able to sleep properly, then waking yourself up in the morning with more caffeine. Despite what people tell you, it does not improve concentration, does not stimulate you into being more alert, and is to be avoided during this exam season because it can raise anxiety levels. I gave up on caffeine nearly 18 months ago, and am now more focussed, less anxious, and sleep better and deeper than I have in a long time. (I posted about this last year and you can find that on this link  http://stayblogitive.blogspot.com/2015/07/caffeine.html )

·         Have a “shut-off point”. This is perhaps the greatest pieces of advice somebody ever gave me, and has been so useful to me. If you set a time of night to work until and then stop, you are giving your mind and body the rest it needs, as well as having the opportunity to relax before going to sleep.

·         It goes without saying of course that you should try and get enough sleep each night. Official advice varies between 8 and 12 hours, but I usually have around 7 and am fine. If you can try and get at least seven hours per night, it will be of huge benefit to you, and you will be better able to revise, and process information.

And that is it for today. If you want to offer any further advice, or wish to share your thoughts, you can do so in the comments of this post. I will also do what I usually do and leave my social media links below if you want to get in touch with me. My next post will be up tomorrow, so until then, don’t get too stressed out, keep rested, keep smiling, and above all else, keep believing!



SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS


Comments