Making a revision timetable


Hello everyone, and welcome to the second week of my month of daily posts about exams. This week, I am focussing on revision and studying, with advice about different ways you can study effectively and how best to manage your revision in order to achieve the maximum level of success.

The first post of the week is going to be on planning.

I know from experience that it is very easy to get overwhelmed by revision, and to feel so lost in it all that you have no clue where to begin. Of course, the amount of material only increases the further along the education system you go, and it gets more and more stressful as the workload gets more and more.

A method that I’ve found works for me is creating a revision timetable. This helps me to organise what I’m going to do and on what days, and focuses my mind on certain subjects rather than thinking about too many topics at once. Below is an example of the sort of timetable I usually create to cope with my revision.


Module 1
Module 2
May 1st
FRANCE SINCE 1945
FRENCH GRAMMAR
May 2nd
FRENCH GRAMMAR
FRENCH ORAL
May 3rd
FRENCH ORAL
FRANCE SINCE 1945
May 4th
FRANCE SINCE 1945
FRENCH GRAMMAR
May 5th
FRANCE SINCE 1945
FRENCH ORAL
May 6th
FRANCE SINCE 1945 EXAM
May 7th
FRENCH GRAMMAR
FRENCH ORAL
May 8th
FRENCH ORAL
FRENCH GRAMMAR
May 9th
FRENCH GRAMMAR
FRENCH ORAL
May 10th
FRENCH GRAMMAR
FRENCH ORAL
May 11th
FRENCH GRAMMAR EXAM
May 12th
FRENCH ORAL

May 13th
FRENCH ORAL

May 14th
FRENCH ORAL

May 15th
FRENCH ORAL EXAM



A few pointers

·         Sorting everything by date is a great way of organising what you are doing when and adds routine to your revision which will make things far easier for you.

·         Creating first and second priority subjects means that you can focus on specific topics or subjects rather than going between several. This avoids confusion and means you are more likely to take in the information you are looking at.

·         As a visual learner, I like to colour-code timetables so that I can have a clear outline of what goes where and I can get this sense of the different subjects or modules I need to be looking at.

·         Integrate it with your exam timetable, so that you can see when your exams are and what you may need to prioritise working on in the run-up to each exam. You will notice that in the days immediately before each scheduled exam, module 1 stops alternating and instead stays as the module for which the exam is coming up.

·         You will notice that I have not put modules to revise on the same day as each exam. For me, it is important that you are fully focussed on the exam itself and not thinking about anything else for that day but that exam, even once it has finished. Even last minute revision for those exams is not put in, because your mind should be on the exam and not on trying to take in anything else. (I am going to talk about cramming later in the week).

There we go then; those are my tips for creating a revision timetable. Are there any techniques that help you? Feel free to comment your suggestions in the comments or by contacting me on social media, the links for which I’ve put into the table below. To all those of you who have exams coming up this week, good luck, I know you can succeed. I will be back tomorrow with another post, so until then, keep working hard, keep smiling, and above all, keep believing!



SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS


Comments