Mental health during exams


Welcome along to day number 5 of this month of posts about exams, and the last one about personal health.

For this post, I wanted to discuss something which is not spoken about enough in our society; mental health. As someone who suffers from different kinds of anxiety and is in recovery from depression, I know the impact of mental health issues on a person, particularly when they are in education.

At this time of year, stress and anxiety are higher than ever for students, and this can lead to a number of mental health issues, one of which is depression. Throughout this week, I have spoken about different aspects of personal health, but for me looking after your state of mind is the most important thing you can do for your health over this exam season. Below, I have given several coping techniques for taking care of your mental health over this exam season, all of which have helped me in the past.

·         Take breaks.

·         Relax regularly.

·         Have enough sleep.

·         Eat properly and drink plenty.

·         Talk to friends – not only can this give you a boost, but they may be going through the same things as you and you can share your coping techniques with each other.

·         Talk to family if you can.

·         Talk to teachers or counsellors – if you have a problem you don’t want to talk to friends or family about, discussing it with professionals can relieve your worries.

·         Talk to one of the many helplines out there, such as Childline

·         Don’t panic – I know this might seem difficult when you are faced with the pressure of exams, but I promise you that panic will get you nowhere.

·         Remember that you can succeed

Of course, these are just a few of several potential coping techniques out there, and I would love to hear any more suggestions. If you have any, you can leave them in the comments or by contacting me through social media on the links in the table below.

I hope you’ve enjoyed this personal health week, and are looking forward to the next set of posts which are to come. Before that, I am going to be giving you a new Trent’s Tracks every day for the next three days, so look out for those. Until tomorrow, keep relaxed, keep smiling, and above all else, KEEP BELIEVING!

Comments