B.E.D.A 2018: Day Twelve



Hello again all, and welcome to day 12 of BEDA 2018.

Our language: A Lingua Franca

For the final part of my look at the English language, I wanted to talk about a question which has baffled linguists for decades – the question of a lingua franca.

A lingua franca is a universal language spoken by all people as a means of aiding communication.

Whilst I think it could make our lives easier if we could all communicate without language barriers, I think that having one language spoken by all is a bad idea.

What we don’t realise is the use of English as a lingua franca is causing people to turn away from their native languages and speak English all of the time. This puts these languages, some of which have been around for thousands of years and are steeped in history, in danger of extinction.

In my opinion, it would be a great shame to lose these ancient languages and the culture that comes with them, in favour of speaking English. Maybe, as a linguist, I am biased but I would love for the world to be full of as many languages as possible to learn and study.

I think life would be so boring if we all spoke the same language, and I think we need to try to learn other languages rather than expect everyone to speak one universal tongue.


Short and sweet, but important nonetheless.

Smiling is such a powerful thing, and it can brighten up your day. Not only does it make you feel more positive, it enhances your face. Everyone, and I mean everyone, looks so beautiful when they are smiling, don’t you think?

Smile, and the whole world will smile with you.

SONGS OF 2008

Let’s get back to my songs of 2008 countdown now, where we have got to 38 and 37.

At 38, it’s Flo Rida and T-Pain with this blockbuster of a track. This is Low.

At 37, Rihanna gives us a touch of the scary with Disturbia.

38
Flo Rida ft T-Pain

Low

37
Rihanna

Disturbia




Until my next post, keep positive, keep smiling, and above all, keep believing!

Comments