B.E.D.A 2018: Day Nine



Hello again everyone, and welcome back to BEDA 2018.

Our language: Animals

Today I’m continuing my look at the English language with a look at the influence of animals on our vocabulary.

After the Norman invasion of 1066, the new aristocracy spoke French whilst the lower classes continued to speak their form of Germanic Anglo-Saxon. Along with this, the French-speaking upper classes were the ones who were eating the meat being produced by the Germanic-speaking working class farmers. Thus, there became a divergence in what we call the animal itself and what we call the meat we get from it.

Animal
French word for the animal
Meat
pig
porc
pork
sheep
mouton
mutton
cow
boeuf (now it’s vache)
beef



On top of this, a lot of the animals in modern German are similar to words we have in English for them. A lot of them are quite recognisable to you and me…

English animal
German animal
dog
der Hund (similar to hound)
pig
das Schwein (similar to swine)
sheep
das Schaf
mouse
die Maus
bear
der Bär



…and some of these French animals may be familiar to you as well.

English animal
French animal
eagle
l'aigle
snake
le serpent
swan
la cygne (we have cygnet for a baby swan)
otter
la loutre



I don’t know why, but I find the similarities between the names for animals in different languages fascinating. It is so interesting to me to see how our different tongues pretty much call something the same thing.


If I’m ever in the middle of a difficult situation, I try and tell myself these four words.

Often, I need to pep myself up to keep going with long projects or if I am stressed out. I have to remind myself that it is possible to do it, no matter how hard it may seem at the time.

It is amazing how these simple words can keep me motivated and get me through things that seem impossible.

SONGS OF 2008

Now it’s time to look at the next two songs on my list of the best of 2008.

At 44, I have put a really beautiful, camp, sing-along tune that I adore. This is Fascination, by Alphabeat.

The Kooks are at 43 in this countdown with Always Where I Need to Be.

44
 Alphabeat

Fascination

43
 The Kooks

Always Where I Need to Be




And there we go, that’s it for today’s post.

Part 10 of BEDA will be up tomorrow, so keep an eye out for that. Until then, keep positive, keep smiling, and above all, keep believing!



Comments