B.E.D.A 2018: Day Eleven



Hello again all, and welcome to day 11 of BEDA 2018.

Our language: Accents and Dialects

For today’s look at the English language, I want to talk about one unique aspect of our language that I find fascinating – accents and dialects.

In no other language is there such a wide range of dialects and accents.

I find it incredible that a word can be something in one place, and then in another place not so far away where they speak the same language, there is a different word for it.

The UK alone has the most diverse range of accents anywhere in the world. You can travel just a few miles away and people speak slightly differently. Although most people who aren’t from here are only seemingly aware of two of them, there are so many accents up and down this great land, some of which I’ve listed below.

Received Pronunciation (otherwise known as Queen’s English or BBC English)

Cockney

Essex

East Anglian

West Country

Brummie

Black Country

Scouse

Mancunian

Yorkshire

Geordie

Northern Irish

And even within these, there may be subdivisions of variation. It is just incredible that for such a tiny country, we are home to all of these and more.

This is another one of the many reasons I love the language I speak.




It doesn’t matter what you think you can or can’t achieve in life, remember to have dreams.

I like to dream big and aspire to constantly better myself.  I know that what I aspire to do and achieve can sometimes be “unrealistic” or “too big” but I don’t mind that. It gives me a constant focus and I’ll have something to aim at for a long time, and I won’t stop striving to do all I can to make my dreams a reality.

SONGS OF 2008

We’ve reached that point – it’s now time to get into my top 40 songs of 2008.

Scouting For Girls open the top 40 with the first song of theirs to appear on this list – this is Heartbeat.

Number 39 is where we find James Morrison with You Make It Real.

40
Scouting For Girls

Heartbeat

39
James Morrison

You Make It Real




Part 12 of BEDA 2018 will be up tomorrow.

Until then, keep positive, keep smiling, and above all, keep believing!

Comments