Trent's Tracks: Through the Decades 6




Hello everyone, and welcome to day 6 of Trent’s Tracks: Through the Decades.
Over the course of five weeks (October 24th – November 27th), I will be exploring some of the finest music from each of the last five decades (yes, that’s a whole week for each decade) with a brand new song being added to the list every single day. By the end of the five weeks, there will be 35 songs on the list for you to enjoy from throughout the last 46 years.
We are now nearing the end of our look at the 1970s, with only two songs left to go before we leave this decade behind.
I have stated previously that Eurovision has played a huge part in my life since I was very little, and is something I hold very dear to my heart. We sometimes forget that in amongst all of the cheesy music, colourful campness, and political voting, it is fundamentally a SINGING contest, which can showcase some absolutely incredible talent. Many winners fade into the background and are never heard from again, but this group went on to become the most successful Eurovision winners of all time.
You know by now that I am talking about ABBA, winners of the contest for Sweden in 1974 (when it was held in Brighton, UK). They won with Waterloo, and after that, the rest of the decade really belonged to them, with hit after hit for almost a decade until their eventual split in 1982. Their influence is still as strong today, with a theatre musical, Mamma Mia!  based on their music having phenomenal success around the world, eventually being turned into the 2008 film of the same name.
It is ABBA’s success throughout the 70s which made me want to put them on this list, plus this song is an icon of the decade. Everyone, I give you the still incredible ABBA, with the 1976 smash Dancing Queen. Bow to the legends, my friends.
ABBA

Dancing Queen



Are you as much of a Eurovision fan as I am? Are you a hardcore fan of ABBA? Do you just love this song? I would love to know what you think so do get in touch with feedback (comments or social media in the table below).
Tomorrow is the last song from the 1970s, but I promise you it is the best of the lot, so look forward to that.
Until tomorrow, keep positive, keep smiling, and above all else, keep believing!


SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS



Comments